Is Uber Safe In Vegas?
Rideshare services like Uber have truly revolutionized the way that people get around. Indeed, no longer are those who don’t have a car of their own, or who don’t want to battle traffic or parking, limited to public transportation, travel by foot, or taxi cabs; instead, they can easily use an app on their phone to call an Uber (or other rideshare service vehicle), which will arrive quickly. Ubers typically cost less than do taxis, too.
But using Uber or other rideshare services isn’t always safe, and it is important that those who choose to use Uber in Las Vegas understand the risks associated with the rideshare service. Consider the following about safety concerns about Uber in Las Vegas, and what to do if you have been involved in an accident involving an Uber vehicle:
Is Uber Safe to Use in Vegas?
Like with all things in life, there are certain risks associated with using an Uber. These risks include:
- The risk of a car accident. Uber drivers are just normal people, and thus are susceptible to getting into accidents just like other drivers are. It would be silly to think that taking an Uber ride is somehow safer than taking a cab or other form of transportation, or even driving oneself (unless, of course, you are impaired or suffering from another condition that makes driving especially dangerous).
- Sssault. Another concern with taking an Uber is that of assault or sexual assault. Indeed, there have been multiple news stories reported of Uber drivers being accused of or charged with assault and rape. It is important that you understand this risk. Especially for women and girls, who experience sexual violence at much higher rates than do men, being aware of the risk is important.
While you may not have any control over either of the incident types listed above, it is important that you are prepared with a cellphone to make an emergency call in the event of an accident or crime. Depending upon your level of comfort, you may also choose to use Uber only when accompanied by a friend or other trusted individual, rather than using the service solo.
Liability for an Accident Involving an Uber
There are a number of things to learn before taking a cab or Uber or other rideshare vehicle. While, like stated above, you may not be able to mitigate all risks, you can be aware of what your rights and options are if you are involved in an accident. Our experienced attorneys at the Ladah Law Firm, PLLC can help you to recover compensation for your losses if you’ve been harmed. Here’s a look at what you need to know about liability involving an Uber vehicle:
- Liability depends on fault. Liability for a crash in Nevada involving an Uber driver depends on fault. In other words, who caused the accident? For example, if you are hit by an Uber vehicle while crossing the street, and a review of the evidence shows that you stepped into the street without warning and when you did not have the right-of-way, it is likely that you, not the Uber driver, will be held liable for the accident. Or, consider an incident in which you are the passenger of an Uber vehicle and another driver crashes into the Uber vehicle, causing you to suffer injuries. In this case, the other driver, not the Uber driver, was speeding and was intoxicated. As such, that driver would be liable.
- Uber drivers are required to carry liability insurance to pay for injuries. In order to be an Uber driver in Las Vegas, there are certain requirements that must be satisfied. Two of these requirements are having a valid driver’s license, and having proof of Nevada insurance. In addition to maintaining one’s own insurance, Uber also maintains auto liability insurance as well. This means that if you are involved in an accident caused by an Uber driver while they are on-duty, Uber’s liability coverage can be used to pay for your damages. If the Uber driver is off-duty, their own liability coverage should cover harm you have suffered.
- If it’s not the fault of the Uber driver. In the event that you are involved in an accident that is not the fault of the Uber driver, the liability insurance of the party who is at fault should cover your injuries and damages. Our attorneys can help you to determine potentially liable parties and bring forth a claim against the appropriate party. In the event that you were the victim of an Uber driver-related crime, such as assault, you may be able to press criminal charges and file a lawsuit directly against the Uber driver for damages.
- A thorough investigation is a must. It’s important to remember that if you are involved in an accident while riding an Uber, or are hit while walking or biking by an Uber driver, or if you are a victim of an Uber driver-related crime, a thorough investigation is a must. An investigation into the incident can help to get to the bottom of what happened and determine liability. While fault may be clear in some cases, in many accidents, determining fault is difficult, and may require the opinions of experts.
Our Legal Team Is Here to Help You Following an Uber Accident in Las Vegas
Taking an Uber in Las Vegas, or other rideshare service, is probably as safe or as risky as are other forms of transportation. Indeed, there are accident and injuries, some of which are fatal, involving pedestrians, drivers, and passengers of taxis, rideshares, and buses every year. Most important is understanding potential risks, and understanding what your options are in the event that you are the victim of an Uber or other rideshare incident.
At the Ladah Law Firm, PLLC, our experienced Uber accident attorneys are here to provide you with the support and legal guidance you’re looking for if you’ve suffered an accident. To schedule a free consultation with our law offices, please call us at 702-252-0055 today, or send us a message using the contact form on our website.