Go with the flow of traffic. Always obey traffic signals. Make sure you always have a red reflector on the front and back of your bicycle. Always wear a helmet. You’ve probably heard these traffic rules for bicyclists many times. However, when you’re sharing the roadways with motorists these road rules are the difference between staying safe and not causing an accident that results in injury.
What Can You Do to Avoid Bike Accidents
Las Vegas intersections are high-risk for pedestrian / motor-vehicle accidents. Drivers often underestimate the speed you’re traveling. Many aren’t watching out for bicyclists. Here are some suggestions to avoid getting hit by a motorist:
- Ride defensively. Motorists may be looking at their phone, applying makeup or yelling at their children. Others are driving under the influenceof drugs or alcohol.
- Learn to execute emergency maneuvers to avoid accidents.
- Pay attention while riding your bike.
- Know who has the right-of-way. For instance, when two vehicles approach an intersection that doesn’t have a traffic signal, the vehicle approaching the intersection first has the right-of-way. If you and the motorist arrive at the intersection at the same time, whomever is on the right has the right to proceed first.
Bike-Car Accidents: What to do After a Crash
If you are injured in a crash, seek immediate medical attention. If you are not, call the police and wait for them to arrive. Also do the following:
- Obtain the contact information of the driver and witnesses.
- Make sure your version of the accident are in the police report.
- Note what happened before, during and after the accident.
- Make sure you document your injuries.
- Keep any evidence (clothing, bike and helmet should be maintained in the same condition it was after the accident). If you litigate, your bicycle accident lawyer may use the evidence to win or settle your case.
- Talk with a bicycle accident lawyer. Accidents between cars and bikes are complex even when they are minor. The driver may be clearly at fault, but refusing to pay.
Hopefully you are never involved in a traffic accident while riding a bicycle. However, should the need arise, speak to a personal injury lawyer who has experience representing bicycle-accident victims.